Sunday, August 5, 2007

Turn, Baby Turn!

So last week at my doctors appointment I was talking to my doc about the baby's position. At our sonogram a few weeks prior (32.5 weeks) she was breech. I had a feeling she was still breech since I had been feeling kicks way down low. So I asked the doc if she could still turn this late in the game and he said it WAS possible. I also asked him how successful he was at turning the baby by pushing on my stomach once I was in labor and he said that has a less than 50% success rate... not so good. Then he jokingly mentioned I should try standing on my head.

Well, you dont mention that to a woman who is scared of c-sections and willing to do anything to avoid one... So I decided that I'd give it a whirl. Hmmm.. to all 8.5 month prego women out there... standing on your head is a feat I'm not sure I'd advise. I had Kevin in on the deal... he was the ankle-holder so I didnt go toppling over. He was was convinced I needed to stay on my head for a good while for the baby to get the idea so he helped pull my ankles up to the ceiling so that I didn't kill my neck. I dont think I was up for longer than 2 minutes (although it felt like an eternity), but, in that time, I think every last drop of my blood rushed to my head and all I got out of the deal was a whopper of a head/neck ache - no flipping baby.

So, then I tried laying on my back with my rear-end higher than my head (propped up under pillows). This is a much more comfortable position than a headstand, but still didnt seem to do the trick. I've researched the whole "coaxing your baby to flip" subject and one website recommended crawling around on your hands and knees for 10 minutes with your head low to the ground. I'm not sure what that's supposed to do other than give me rug-burn and make me look like I've lost my mind, but I may give that one a try.

To anyone out there who's gone through this before - should I be worried if at this point (35.5 weeks) the kiddo is still breech? Any ideas about what to do to get her to do a sommersault? Take a minute and, after you get done laughing at me, drop me a line.

3 comments:

Ms. Burly said...

I can't stop laughing....no suggestions here. Love ya!

Miriam said...

Yes, yes, I heard all of these suggestions as well when I was pregnant. I think I attempted one position once for about 30 seconds and thought "this is nuts!" Some people are absolutely convinced babies can be turned - I was a little less convinced that two babies could be turned.

I've heard that doctors can manually turn them by pushing hard on your belly a week or two before you are expected to give birth...just no promises that your baby won't find her previous position more cozy and return to it quickly!

Don't let the C-section scare you too much. The scariest part (to me) was getting the bloody catheter and IV put in. Otherwise, I didn't feel a thing, and recovery wasn't that bad - I was feeling good way before I was expected to - so if it comes to that - you'll do just fine as well!

Much love to you and the excitement is BUILDING!!!

Beth said...

I got a big kick out of this post, I could just see you doing all of that! :) Ok so you'd totally have to check with your doc for this one. The only other thing I saw was some women get accupunture during their 8th month or more to either induce labor or to help turn a breech baby. So there ya go, there's my contribution! :)