Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Christmas in Kansas City

Natalie and I celebrated Christmas (on the 26th) in Kansas City this year. It was an eventful trip getting there and coming back. Natalie woke up a million and one times the night of the 25th and I was operating on about 4 or 5 hours of sleep. She had been burning up with a temperature and I suspected that she had some teeth coming through as she only had 4. I apparently didn't leave enough time for the airport and *silly me* thought airport traffic would be light the Friday after Christmas - because everyone was already to their destination, right? Hmm...Let's just say, I'm not so bright sometimes. After waiting in line at the ticket counter for 1.25 hours and checking in about 25 minutes prior to our flight (still having to navigate security) we ALMOST missed our flight. Fortunately, Providence saw that we got there...literally. They were holding our plane for some Providence, RI passengers whose plane was late. Yeah for Rhode Island!

Anyway, the flight there was fine. She was a little tired and fell asleep for about 15 minutes and the rest of the time was interested in all of the dollar store toys I had in my arsenal of the baby-fun-backpack.

Dad, Elizabeth, Mom and Augie

Mommo, Poppo, Natalie (crying - as she did almost all week) and Me

Being in KC was so nice. It was great to see my parents, my sister and my grandparents. Natalie was a grouch and I kept having to apologize for her crankiness - although that would have happened anywhere we were and at least in KC I had help! She was up an average of 4-5 times a night and I was giving her ibuprofen every 6-8 hours. Come to find out, she was working on an ear infection also (we went to an urgent care clinic). At least it gave me an excuse when people looked at her like she was a devil child. =) Luckily mom had a whole houseful of toys from Elizabeth's (and my) childhood and several new things she'd picked up to distract Natalie from her misery.

Natalie hugging a slipper. She hugs anything these days, it's cute.

We were pretty low-key while in KC... We shopped a little, ate out once and played some fun card games with Elizabeth and her boyfriend (no pic... can't believe I forgot a pic of Scott!).

On the flight home, to my horror, we were one of "those" families on the plane. Natalie yelled and cried a good portion of the time and fell asleep a measly 20 minutes before the plane landed. A nice old woman at the baggage claim made a snide comment regarding her behavior and I bit my tounge to keep from snapping back at her. Seriously...did she NOT have children? Maybe they drugged them with brandy back in her day.

Anyway, we made it back, in one piece and Natalie now has two new teeth to show for her journey.

Snuggling with Poppo...just melts my heart.

1 comment:

Miriam said...

I wondered how your journey went - what is it with children getting teeth on vacation? My nephew did the same thing at Thanksgiving - teething - ear infection - crabby - etc! At least now that we've all been on the other side of it as parents we can have compassion for the parent of the screaming baby! :)