Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Grilled Chicken and Artichoke Braid with Homemade Pesto


Hmmm... what to do with a bunch o' chicken breast I'd thawed out for dinner tonight? No time to marinate and not interested in just grilling and eating with vegetables.

This recipe really came together out of a need to use a bunch of ingredients I had on hand. Fun that it came together even in the midst of kids crying, etc. Ahh... dinner time is always such a LOVELY time at our household. *rolling my eyes*

I used this recipe as inspiration.

And then made my own pesto using this recipe. It seemed to need a lot more olive oil though. Maybe I used too much basil? I DID follow the recipe. Who knows?

I roasted artichokes (from the can) while I cooked the chicken (coated in Penzey's Pizza Seasoning) on the grill.

I built my braid first with the chopped up chicken, roasted artichokes, then dollops of pizza sauce, dollops of pesto, mozzerella and feta cheese, slivered red onion, and topped it with sliced roma tomatoes (from Kevin's garden) before folding it all up.

It probably could be a prettier braid, but, hey, I've never made one before, so it just had to do.

Brush with egg wash and throw it in the oven at 375 for about 25 minutes.

Kevin groaned the whole meal. (The good kind of groaning when one eats food!)

No comments: